9.01.2006

"my so called scarf"

it seems that a lot of us are on the 'my so called scarf' bandwagon. hey, i guess it's a testimonial to the designers of the pattern. i have been wanting to knit this scarf for a while now, and since i am starting my holiday gifts now...i figured this would be a good pattern to try.

so here's my dilemma...i love how the stitch pattern is coming out on the RS.

but since this is a scarf, and you will be able to see the WS as well, i was hoping that the WS would have more of an interesting stitch pattern than it does. TO ME, it looks like a convoluted purl pattern (which essentially is what it is), but not one interesting enough to be on a highly visible "other side" to a scarf.

so before i frog it all, what do you think? am i just being too picky? i mean in all my scarf creating experience, i never really demanded that the RS and the WS were the same, but i feel that the WS has to be as interesting as the front, even though it may be a different...

6 comments:

KnitXcorE said...

that yarn is really pretty... i adore it :-)

Charles said...

NICE yarn~~Tad~~~ GOOD LUCK!!!Iam having hard time whith stitch too..it seems when i kint everytime, it keep mess me up!!! We did nice talk!!

Dave said...

In this case, I think that the "interestingness" of the front more than makes up for the "non-interestingness" of the back. I say keep going :-)

Love those colours!

Michael said...

I agree with Dave, but if you REALLY dislike it, you could double the width and seam it up (doesn't look like you're terribly far along yet), or even just alter it to be knit in the round.

WillowAnneLyra said...

Hey, I ran accross your blog while googling for a way to do the "my so called scarf" in the round (I'm making a matching hat). Personally, I like the weird texture and appearence you get on the back side of the stitch pattern with manos, but if you decide that it's too boring for you, converting the pattern to rounds isn't dificult. I did it as follows:

Round one: ssk, knit into front loop before droping stitches off. rep all the way around.

Round two: K1 *k2tog, knit into back loop before droping stitches off.* repeat * to end of round, k1.

The spot where it joins looks a bit strange to me so far (I'm just a few rounds in), but if you used that as a side seem, I think it would minimize the appearence.

WillowAnneLyra said...

Whoops, I mean front loop (easiest to do when the back loop has already been droped) -- otherwise the whole stitch shows through, not just one half of the loop.