11.03.2006

hat for hans

i've finally started the earflap hat for my snowboarder friend. it's so funny working with a fellow designer - when he asked me to do a hat for him we sat down and sketched out what the hat would look like. we used AD markers to try different color schemes, then we flipped through my PMS swatches to find the right colors. then i was off to my LYS in search of the yarn. meanwhile, he was searching the internet for a pair of snowboarding gloves.

it took a bit of calculating to figure out the pattern, but it wasn't difficult. i think it's coming along nicely, although my inconsistency in tension between knitting on straights and knitting in the round is driving me nuts. i keep telling myself that the blocking process will help hide the difference and it won't be too noticeable in the end.

my perfectionist side is causing me to slightly obsess about it and i am nearly on the edge of ripping the whole thing apart and starting again....

5 comments:

Dave said...

You could put it onto a waste piece of yarn and wet block it now to see if that helps. Leave your working yarn attached.

It's a great colour. What yarn is it?

Anonymous said...

I have a package on the way to you. So start stalking your mailman from next week.

Cheers
Ms SP

Kerry said...

I say rip it! LOL I'm a horrible perfectionist too and I know that if it were me it would bother me until the end of time if I didn't fix it. Of course that's just my 2 cents. :-) I can't wait to see it finished. It's an awesome color and I love how the pattern is working up.

KnitXcorE said...

Pretty Fancy!!! let it go.... see if he notices anything wonky :-)

i also luv that yarn....

Having a Knit Fitt said...

You might try knitting the ear flaps on the circs - treating them like straights.
Cate