4.11.2008

gauge the gauge



ok, so i guess i am not having the best of luck with the socks these days...i've been knitting this sock up for the past week, with frogging and starting over twice, and tinking back a few times, i finally got on a roll.

today i decided to slip them on to check the fit. as i've been knitting i thought it looked a little small, but with the pattern i was using i figured that was just how it looked in it's relaxed state, with stretching to allow for my calf. well, i quickly found out that it was indeed too small...barely able to get the cuff over my heel.

i've slightly modified ann budd's "elegant ribbed stockings" pattern to be less of a stocking and more of a sock. and left out the eyelet row for a ribbon and a bow. oh, and instead of the sportweight specified by the pattern, i am using sock yarn. so a few calculations were invloved. ergo the problem: i am not a math major. in fact, as a designer i see things visually, so what seems to make sense to me on paper, doesn't always come out in reality. especially where numbers are concerned.

now that i've got the photo snapped and the post up, i am off to rip it all out and start again!

6 comments:

Secret Swapper said...

:( I'm sorry you're having sock issues. I hope you resolve them quickly. Be on the lookout for a FedEx delivery, I shipped you your FCS3 box today! I hope you enjoy it.

~on pins and needles waiting~

Dave said...

It looks great -- too bad it doesn't fit. I get that all the time too. I seem to need a lot of stretch to get a sock over my heel. Unfortunately, many stitch pattern restrict that stretch. It will be interesting to see how that lovely yarn knits up in its new reincarnation.

bunchkin said...

Ugh! I hate it when that happens! But on the upside, it IS a beautiful yarn. Reminds me of those little caramels with the creme in the middle.

Tracy said...

If you don't want to frog it you can always mail them ot Jersey I'm sure I could put them to good use :-)

KnitXcorE said...

heh. it's a shame really. they're quite fancy looking.

Secret Swapper said...

Hello! I was just checking in, wondering if your package from me has arrived yet. Let me know!